350 grams fish fillets
1 shallots, chopped
4 cms galangal, finely, chopped
2 stalks lemon grass, finely chopped
1 red chilli fresh, seeded and chopped
125ml coconut milk
2 teaspoons fish sauce
5 coriander sprigs
1 onion, small, sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons oil
Salt to taste
- In a pan, add 1 tablespoon oil, add shallots, galangal, lemon grass and chilli. Stir for 3 minutes until light brown. Remove from heat and transfer the contents to a mixer.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce and stalks from the coriander and blend for 2 minutes or until well mixed to form spiced sauce.
- Place fish in an oven proof shallow round dish that fits over a saucepan, and pour over the spice sauce. Cover dish, place over a pan of boiling water and steam for 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes.
- In another pan, heat the remaining oil and fry the onions until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper napkin. Then add coriander leaves to the oil and fry for few seconds, remove and drain on paper napkin.
- Scatter the fried onion and fried coriander on the steamed fish and grind over plenty of black pepper. Serve hot.
Fresh ginger can be used as a substitute for galangal. Small red pickle onion can be substitute for shallot.